- Offer a high level of adjustability, and can accept all types of seating systems, footrests and arms
- Designed for easy portability
- Choice of either steel or aluminum
- Footrests are removable, as well as arms and wheels on some models
- A great choice for the more dependent user who does not need maximum efficiency in propulsion
- Generally heavier than rigid chairs due to folding cross-braces
- Eliminates the flex associated with folding manual chairs, and offers a higher level of performance
- Lighter weight, can be made with steel, aluminum or even titanium
- Footrests can be fixed or removable, but the frame itself is fixed which means the wheels must be removed and the back folded down to allow transport in a typical vehicle
- The choice of the full-time independent user due to their high efficiency
- Transport Wheelchairs are intended to be pushed by a caregiver.
- Small wheels - More suited for indoor use.
- Lightweight (14 to 28 lbs.) The transport chair is easy to push, and lighter than a reqular wheelchair by as much as 50%.
- The transport chair is more compact and easier to load in a car.
- Less expensive than a reqular wheelchair. They can usually be purchased from $199 to $360.
Common Wheelchairs Used In Alberta
• Unique crossbrace design helps improve stability and make the chair easier to fold and un-fold.
• A four point seat saddle helps improve the rigidity in the frame.
• Designed to ensure greater driving performance; a lightweight frame and high quality components make for easy rolling and manoeuvrability.
• Adaptable and modular frame accommodates progressive changes in user needs.
Maple Leaf NRG+ Gold
The NRG+ Gold is an aluminum lightweight manual wheelchair designed to achieve a 12″ seat to floor height while offering flip back removable arms, adjustable back canes and both vertical and horizontal rear wheel adjustability.
Sunrise Rubix 2
Introducing RubiX² - the lightweight wheelchair designed for individual user requirements. With adjustable back upholstery, adjustable seat depth and angle, angle adjustable footrests and comfort seating, the RubiX² is able to match a wide range of user needs.
Pride Litestream XF
The Litestream® XF ultralight manual wheelchair uses a unique, innovative, rigidizing double X folding frame that delivers the versatility and performance of a rigid frame while folding to a width of only 9" for easy transport. The Litestream XF accepts a broad selection of accessories to meet a wide variety of needs and personal preferences while remaining an excellent overall value. The Litestream XF is also available in an HD configuration that weighs just 39 lbs. and features a cane-to-cane rigidizing bar for added stability.
PDG Eclipse 600
• 600 lb capacity; 1000 lb upgrade option
• Rigid frame provides strength and stiffness
• Forward wheelbase for excellent maneuverability
• 60º swing-away, elevating, front rigging
• Adjustable seat depth and back angle
• Easily transportable
Future Mobility Orion II
Orion II is the most innovative and affordable tilt-in-space wheelchair on the market today. Developed for those individuals requiring adjustability to redistribute their body weight for optimal positioning purposes, the Orion II assists in allowing the user to function independently and to become more involved in their lifestyles.